13 Şubat 2010 Cumartesi

Nothing like a cold beer on top of a mountain


I asked people around about the date but no one is sure! I love this!

After a three hours walk up mountain we arrived at the Lahu mountain tribe village. The view is fantastic. The forest is incredible!

Right now I’m chilling inside my pink net which separates my mattress from the 10 others next to it in this one room bamboo shack! I’m waiting my turn for a Thai massage

from a Luhan Tribe lady; my muscles are

crying for it after all the climbing we did today. We are a group of 11 people from different countries and we have an extremely fun Thai guide called Jack! He prefers us calling him Captain Jack! We are all to sleep in the same room and eat together for the next two days.

Before we took off for a 3 hours- 8 KM hike, we had an elephant ride at the elephant park near the river. Those who dared were allowed to ride on elephant necks; “No thanks! Not me!” Instead I voyaged at the carriage and enjoyed feeling like an Indian Queen! Yet this did not save me from being sprayed with the water Mr. Elephant sucked from the river! The queen was covered with Elephant spit!

A baby elephant came along through the whole trip, apparently one of the elephants we were riding was his mother. Watching the baby elephant swimming in the water and rolling in the mud was like nothing I’ve seen before.

On the way to the elephant park earlier today we visited the village of the Long

Neck Tribe. That was a real disappointment. You basically pay 500 Baht to see people and take pictures of or with them as if they were in a zoo. I couldn’t shake the thought of the forced smile of the women with rings on their necks for the rest of the day. I really didn’t like the fact that there was a church inside the village! I couldn’t help saying: “O

h! Not you again?!”, out loud, as I saw Jesus on a the cross inside the little bamboo church.

We were told that the women of the tribe wore the rings to protect their necks from tiger bites or because the leader of the tribe came up with this genius idea as a way of identifying beautiful women and keeping them in the village as it would be impossible for them to live with them necks anywhere else.

I certainly like the Luhan Tribe village better. It is real. I’ve found out that there is no school here; the kids with rich families go to some other distant village to study. The rest of the kids either learn from them or basically get no education. I spoke to the guide and he said the head of the tribe would welcome the idea of me staying and teaching the kids for a few months given that I solve my migration issues with authorities, and that they would provide me with food and shelter. I note this down to be considered as an alternative later on, perhaps in a few months.

Tomorrow we go rafting at the river then we head back to Chiang Mai. I will go to the Monk Chat point in Wat Chad Du Lueng to find more about the possibilities of staying at some temple and practicing meditation for a few days.

A woman dressed in a colorful dress with bells hanging from her skirt has just opened my net and asked me to get ready for my first Thai massage...





Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder