16 Eylül 2019 Pazartesi

Pandora's Box: Teenage


Don't ask me how teenage is like... all I had is news of Palestine being bombed everyday and another city lost then Gulf War 1&2 and people escaping to no land... this is my childhood..

I would get back from elementary school everyday back home with my sister to found about my mother watching the television and crying. I was too young to understand why. She would shut down the television to make sure my sister and me wouldn’t see the news. In Jordan the TV controlled by the government for people to watch to see and what to not to see but still they would announce all the news about Gulf War. My mother had Iraqi friends and others living and working in Iraq. It was a very rich and successful country that all Arabs would go to work and send money to their family. An Egyptian friend of my mother would visit us going back for his vacation from Baghdad to Cairo and bring us lots of presents. The taste of dates from Iraq is still above my tongue whenever I think about those days. 

Iraq was not only full of ancient history, water and food not also oil. It would provide free oil to Jordan too. Oil was the main reason why the entire history and its people were destroyed forever. One day my mother Egyptian friend visits us in Jordan for the last time. He has no presents for us this time. He was escaping. It was the 1st Gulf War. 

I was 13 years old. One day around midnight I heard the ululation around coming from the neighbours. We went out to check what was happening. It wasn’t a wedding. All women were on the roof of their houses celebrating. It was the first time ever Israeli was under attack since it was establishing a country to steel the land of Palestinian for 42 years. Iraq sent 1 or 2 rockets to Israel and probably wounded no one. Next day Iraq was occupied by America and lost more than 2.4 million civilians in the streets. The first thing they did was to bomb their communication nets even the phones so the country wasn’t able to communicate with the rest of the world. 

As a child I remember in Jordan I saw beggar Iraqi’s in city centre. Jordan was the poorest country in the Middle East supported by Iraq with free oil once upon a time. 

 
Don't ask me about future..

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder